Divorce FAQ

Commonly Asked Questions

How Long Does it Take to get Divorced in Washington State?

There is a 90-day waiting period in Washington state from the time the petition for divorce is filed and served to the date final orders can be entered. Final order can then be entered after 90 days if both parties agree or if the other side defaults on the case so long as you have complied with all the court rules.
Back to Top

How Long Will it Take to get Divorced if my Wife/Husband/Spouse Does not Agree With Final Orders?

Just because your spouse does not agree to the divorce does not mean you cannot get divorced. If you follow the proper procedures, you will be able to get divorced, you just will not be able to do it in 90 days unless your spouse fails to respond and defaults. In Pierce County, when you file for divorce, the court will give you a date to come back to court. This is typically not your trial date; this is the date where the court asks you to come back to court to be assigned the trial date. In King County, the court will assign you a case schedule and trial date at or around the time you file your initial divorce paperwork. In either county, trial can be up to a year out give or take a couple of months. This typically will depend on the court’s availability or there is a continuance.
Back to Top

Do We Have to Wait Until Trial to get Divorced?

Not if you and your spouse agree on final orders and they are approved by the court prior to trial. Even if your spouse does not initially agree to your proposal initially, we can engage in alternative dispute resolution such as mediation. Most cases can be resolved in mediation. The sooner a case is resolved, the more money you will save in legal and other fees and costs.
Back to Top

What is Mediation?

Mediation is a form of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) where a third-party neutral helps the parties resolve their disputes.
Back to Top

Can the Attorneys be Present at Mediation?

Yes, if the parties have attorneys, they typically should present at mediation.
Back to Top

Will I Be in the Same Room as the Other Party During Mediation?

Typically you will not be in the same room as the other party, however, there are some mediators who like to have both parties in the same room to begin the mediation process and then split the parties up into two separate rooms. How this work will depend on the mediator and the comfort level of the parties mediating.
Back to Top

Do I Have to Wait Until the Divorce is Finalized to Get Financial Support or Make Parenting Arrangements

No, you can file a motion for temporary orders where the court can decide spousal maintenance, child support, parenting plan, use of the family home, payment of debt, etc. until trial or settlement.
Back to Top

How Much Does it Cost to Get a Divorce?

This will depend on not only the complexity of the case but the level of conflict of the parties. We can discuss the fee deposit required to start your case during your initial consultation.
Back to Top

For any other questions about the divorce process, you can reach us at (253) 234-1934 or fill out the contact form below.

Client Reviews

"Mr Yetter was hired specifically to represent me in a contentious divorce with parenting plan/support complexities. During our consultation appointment, he listened intently with compassion. Asked thoughtful, pertinent questions and laid out a progression plan. Their were multiple court, mediation...

- Melanie

"I hired Mr. Yetter, in a tough time in my life. He was both understanding and knowledgeable. I would use him again in a heartbeat."

- Donald

"Matt Yetter expertly and with sensitivity helped me prepare for and surmount a challenging divorce, where I initially felt overwhelmed and outgunned. Matt was patient and empathic, assisting me to establish and maintain goals that served my best interests and that were ethical to both parties...

- John R., Auburn

Contact Us

  1. 1 Lawyers in Pierce, King, and Thurston Counties
  2. 2 Experienced and Personalized Representation
  3. 3 Free 30-Minute Consultation With an Attorney

Fill out the contact form or call us at (253) 234-1934 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message