Temporary Orders

What to do After the Divorce Petition has Been Filed?


The divorce petition has been filed, now what? Trial in a divorce case is typically one year out, give or take a month or two. This will depend on the county and schedule of the court. You do not need to be stuck with uncertainty prior to final agreement or trial. You can ask the court to determine spousal support (alimony), parenting plan, child support, restraining orders, who pays what debt, who will live in the house, who will pay the mortgage, who will provide insurance, who will have use of the car, who will have use of personal property, etc. on a temporary basis.

This can also ease the tension in a case as uncertainty tends to cause a lot of stress and anxiety. Temporary orders can also be helpful where a spouse is being unreasonable and uncooperative. Though not true in every case, we tend to see things calm down after temporary orders are entered.

It is important to note that the orders are only temporary and last until changed by the court, usually by agreement or after trial when final orders are entered. Call us to help determine whether temporary orders are right for your situation. Our phone number is (253) 234-1934.

Client Reviews

"Mr Yetter was hired specifically to represent me in a contentious divorce with parenting plan/support complexities. During our consultation appointment, he listened intently with compassion. Asked thoughtful, pertinent questions and laid out a progression plan. Their were multiple court, mediation...

- Melanie

"I hired Mr. Yetter, in a tough time in my life. He was both understanding and knowledgeable. I would use him again in a heartbeat."

- Donald

"Matt Yetter expertly and with sensitivity helped me prepare for and surmount a challenging divorce, where I initially felt overwhelmed and outgunned. Matt was patient and empathic, assisting me to establish and maintain goals that served my best interests and that were ethical to both parties...

- John R., Auburn

Contact Us

  1. 1 Lawyers in Pierce, King, and Thurston Counties
  2. 2 Experienced and Personalized Representation
  3. 3 Free 30-Minute Consultation With an Attorney

Fill out the contact form or call us at (253) 234-1934 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message