Nonparental Custody

A non-parental custody action is when a person files a petition for custody of a child. Though not necessary, these actions are typically filed by close relatives of the child such as a grandparent or an aunt or uncle. We have even handled cases where a sibling has filed for non-parental custody. The is a high standard for filing for non-parental custody as parents have recognized constitutional right to parent their children. The court must find both parents unfit or actual detriment to the child if placed in the custody of their parents. If you have any question about your situation, feel free to contact us to discuss it with a qualified attorney. Non-parental actions for child custody are contained within chapter 26.10 of the RCWs.

Client Reviews

"Mr Yetter was hired specifically to represent me in a contentious divorce with parenting plan/support complexities. During our consultation appointment, he listened intently with compassion. Asked thoughtful, pertinent questions and laid out a progression plan. Their were multiple court, mediation...

- Melanie

"I hired Mr. Yetter, in a tough time in my life. He was both understanding and knowledgeable. I would use him again in a heartbeat."

- Donald

"Matt Yetter expertly and with sensitivity helped me prepare for and surmount a challenging divorce, where I initially felt overwhelmed and outgunned. Matt was patient and empathic, assisting me to establish and maintain goals that served my best interests and that were ethical to both parties...

- John R., Auburn

Contact Us

  1. 1 Lawyers in Pierce, King, and Thurston Counties
  2. 2 Experienced and Personalized Representation
  3. 3 Free 30-Minute Consultation With an Attorney

Fill out the contact form or call us at (253) 234-1934 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message